Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Lackawanna and the Peekaboos



Last Saturday the 2nd I pulled myself outta the house and met up with Tarrah at Banjo Jim's, a little corner bar on 9th and C, to check out Adam Levy & Jason Crigler's band Lackawanna.

I thought we'd be late, but of course, we were early - just in time for a cigar smoking puppet / ventriloquist act.. seriously not my thing. We did a speedy 180 right back out the door and gave her 20 minutes to finish up.

I'm glad we returned to check out the music though. Lackawanna features some amazing musicianship, Adam Levy (center) has played guitar extensively with Norah Jones, Tony Mason (center) and Jason Crigler (left) are both regular band members in the cream of the singer songwriter crop in NY, and Jonathan Maron (right) is one of the founding members of Groove Collective, and has played bass with peeps like Meshell Ndegeocello and Maxwell. These guys basically tore up that little joint to a very happy crowded room, Adam and Jason's country blues chops complimented nicely by Tony and Jonathan's funky foundation. Adam Levy appears to be in charge of Banjo Jim's Wednesday nights if you wanna see this quality biz up close!

Sunday morning was my turn to play a little. I was hungover, but it didn't matter, I was playing reggae classics and originals with the Peekaboos rhythm section. We were tightening up for a show this Friday at the Tea Lounge in Park Slope.

The Peekaboos are bassist Rob Jost's creation (upper right). Rob has really gotten himself inside Jamaican ska, rocksteady & reggae bass, it's so right and real. & man! I can't get enough funky reggae keys, that's all I need. I'm thankful my close friend Rob has asked me to to be a part.

Another old friend and roommate Tewar (lower right) and Teddybut (upper left) surrounded my ears in stereo while my boy Robby DP (upper left), kept the beats good and dirty. The thing was flowing so nice we played through 20 some songs in about 2 hours!

I'm looking forward to adding with percussion, BG vox, and horn section at the show this Friday. YEEOOWW!

Enjoy your week!

lovee

No comments: